Jews and the Left: the long divorce? With Clive Gilbert
This is a mini-course of three sessions and forms part of Menorah’s Adult Education Enrichment programme. There is no charge and you’re welcome to attend one or all of the sessions.
Thursdays 8 March, 15 March, 22 March 7.30 pm – 9.30 pm
Why did the Left attract Jewish political support for such a long time, and why did it all go wrong?
8 March: The Attraction (Session 1 of 3) Click here to register.
• The Enlightenment and the French Revolution. A new political agenda and the emergence of the Jews from the Ghetto.
• The hostility of the Right. Romantic Medievalism v Liberalism
15 March: The Courtship and the Marriage (Session 2 of 3) Click here to register.
• Eastern Europe and the development of a Jewish working class
• Marxism and the Russian Revolution
• Anti-Fascism, war and the Holocaust
22 March: The Estrangement (Session 3 of 3) Click here to register.
• Zionism and European rejection
• Soviet ‘betrayal’
• ‘Imperialism and Colonialism’ and the reality of Israel
• Jews vote like everybody else.
For more information, please email